Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My French Press Life {Lent}


Everybody loves a good cup of coffee right?  Except when what they want is a clear, fresh glass of water...


Sometimes my life is like this french press.  There are bits and pieces of coffee floating around in the hot water - you know...my junk, my sin.  In order to avoid drinking these, I slowly, with my own effort, push the plunger down.  It catches all those unappetizing granules and traps them deep, deep below.  




I am pleased with myself; proud of my effort to get rid of these visible particles.  After all, I have tamed and managed them through my own effort.  I smile.  (Actually it is more of a slightly arrogant grin.)

But then Jesus looks at me, holds out His cup and says, "Give me a glass of water."



My brow furrows and I feel sick to my stomach.  All I have to offer is a stained, black liquid.  And no amount of my effort can push the brown away.

I look at Jesus holding my pot of brown - the parfait of squished junk at the bottom and a sloshy brown liquid above.  I sheepishly shrug my shoulders, hang my head and whisper...



"Jesus, if You are willing, You can make me clean."

Then I look up to find Him smiling as He says, "Now you get it."

1 comment:

  1. Tara, thank you for this. Such a beautiful and powerful parable, and something I identify with all too well right now having just had to face up once again to the failure of my own striving apart from Christ.

    I'm so thankful that the Lord IS both willing and able to cleanse and transform us!

    A blessed Lent to you and your family,
    Karen B., Lent & Beyond

    (I've linked your post!)

    ReplyDelete